- I-395, I-495, I-66, and I-95 run through Northern Virginia, and eight additional interstates offer direct access to major U.S. markets: I-295 (0.8 miles), I-695 (1 mile), I-270 (3 miles), I-370 (7 miles), I-70 (8 miles), I-595 (10 miles), I-81 (13 miles), and I-64 (36 miles).
- CSX Transportation and Norfolk Southern Railway Company provide freight rail service.
- Passenger rail service is provided by Virginia Railway Express and the Metro system.
- The Virginia Inland Port, an intermodal container transfer facility, is 30 miles west, and The Port of Virginia in Hampton Roads is 171 miles southeast.
- A true international gateway, Northern Virginia is served by three major airports: Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA), Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD), and Baltimore/Washington International Airport (BWI).